Free Tax Preparation
Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program through HRDC will be at the library to offer free tax preparation for people who earn $56,000 or less, persons with disabilities, and elderly taxpayers who need assistance in preparing their own tax returns. IRS-certified volunteers provide free basic income tax return preparation with electronic filing to qualified individuals.
If married filing jointly, both parties MUST be present to sign the tax return.
Tax preparation is available beginning on February 5 and operates through April 8.
What to bring:
- Photo identification– MUST HAVE
- Social Security cards and birth dates for each member of the family – MUST HAVE
- W-2 forms for all jobs worked in 2019
- All 1099s for other income in 2019, if applicable
- Forms 1095-A, B or C, Affordable Health Care Statements, or health insurance exemption certificates
- Other tax-related documents such as: interest statements, federal loan documents, retirement statements, list of organizations to which you made charitable donations, etc.
- Childcare provider name, address, and tax ID number, and amount paid in 2019
- Banking or credit union account information
- Voided check and/or savings deposit slip for direct deposit
- Copy of last year’s tax return– if you have it
- Property tax receipts or rental receipts (for MT2EC)
You may also visit www.myfreetaxes.com to prepare your own taxes free of charge, or visit www.montanafreefile.org.
If you have more questions about HRDC VITA please visit their website www.thehrdc.org/
How to sign up for a spot
Call or text HRDC at 406-451-8178. They will work with you and your schedule to find a space to best suit your needs.
Mondays and Wednesdays from 1:30-5:30PM starting February 5. No session February 17. Last session April 8.
Saturday, February 29 from 10:00AM – 2:00PM